Urban Family Learning Centers
Urban Family Learning Centers (UFLC) are partnerships between BHITC and local congregations aimed at providing ministries and services at the local neighborhood level. Over time, these community-centered efforts help expand the capacity of local congregations by meeting real “urban life” needs at a grassroots level and bringing people into deeper relationship with God and one another. (The ‘Every Story Matters’ campaign associated with this video is explained at the bottom of this web page.)
- Maple Heights – Hope Alliance Bible Church (affiliate site)
- Ohio City – Trinity Lutheran Church (affiliate site)
- West Park – The Hope Center
The UFLC suite of ministries (not all UFLC locations have all ministries):
- Youth and Adult Tutoring and Literacy – Evening and after-school tutoring and homework help, including GED preparation support for adults, typically provided in one-on-one settings.
- Summer Programs for Children – Week-long summer camps focused on improving reading levels and comprehension.
- Financial Literacy Courses – Teaching the basics of home and financial management, based on principals of Christian stewardship.
- Christmas Store – A ministry that supports parents and those raising children with the ability to purchase new holiday items and gifts at bargain prices.
BHITC holds an annual campaign each summer to support UFLC, called ‘Every Story Matters.’
The campaign seeks to raise dollars for ongoing program expansion and improvement, raise awareness of volunteer opportunities within UFLC and collect new school-age children’s books for the students to take home and continue practicing their reading. The video at the top of this page xplains Every Story Matters and the heart behind this ministry.