VOLUNTEER CLASSES & TRAINING
There are dozens of volunteer opportunities with Building Hope in the City (BHITC). Think you’re interested in volunteering with us?
This training session provides insight and will deepen your understanding of people living in poverty and how to assist low-income people. Topics include research on the causes of poverty, personal models for life developed by those in the middle class vs. those in poverty and creating relationships for sustained change. This training is for anyone who would like to have a better understanding of everyday life for people in poverty, cycles of poverty and how to help people become self-sustaining to leave poverty.
Advance registration is required. Cost to attend is $15 and includes lunch. Once you fill out the registration form, you will be redirected to process your payment. Also please note – due to the interactive nature of this class, a minimum of 20 participants is required in order to hold the class, so please register early. Our staff will review the number of people registered one week prior to the scheduled class date, and if the number is less than 20, you will be notified of its cancellation and refunded the registration fee.
When: Saturday, April 1, 2017, 9 am to 2:30 pm
2038 West 29th Street, Cleveland, Ohio 44113
Building Hope 101
The first step to volunteering with Building Hope in the City is to take ‘Building Hope 101,’ a one-hour introduction to the organization. You will learn about our mission and ministries and find ways to use your God-given gifts and talents to love people in the city for Christ.
- March 20, 2017 – 5:30 pm, The Hope Center
- March 28, 2017 – 5:30 pm, BHITC, W. 29th Street
- April 17, 2017 – 5:30 pm, The Hope Center
- April 27, 2017 – 5:30, BHITC, W. 29th Street
- May 15, 2017 – 5:30, The Hope Center
- June 6, 2017 – 5:30, BHITC, W. 29th Street
- June 19, 2017 – 5:30, The Hope Center
Where: Unless otherwise noted, all BH 101 classes take place at BHITC / Trinity Lutheran Church (School Building, 2nd Floor)
2038 West 29th Street
Cleveland, OH 44113
The School Building is on the rear corner of BHITC’s campus.
Refugee Mentor Training
This training is a pre-requisite for joining a BHITC volunteer mentoring team befriending a newly arriving refugee family. Participants will gain an understanding of the resettlement process in Cleveland, including small group discussions of mentor expectations, resources and how to handle various situations when working across cultures.
When and Where:
- Tuesday, March 21, 5:30 – 8:30 pm, Gateway West Church/The Hope Center, 15135 Triskett Rd., Cleveland, OH 44111
- Saturday, April 15, 8:30 – 11:30 am, Building Hope in the City (2nd Floor), 2038 West 29th Street, Cleveland, OH 44113
- Thursday, May 18, 5:30 – 8:30 pm, Gateway West Church/The Hope Center, 15135 Triskett Rd., Cleveland, OH 44111
- Saturday, June 17, 8:30 – 11:30 am, Building Hope in the City (2nd Floor), 2038 West 29th Street, Cleveland, OH 44113
- Saturday, March 4, 2017 – 9 am to noon
- Social Enterprise: Exploring Business as a Means of Church Planting and Ministry, presentations by Scott Woller, Owner, Corner Coffee; Pastor, Corner Church, Minneapolis, and Jeff Stredney, Director of Social Enterprise, Building Hope in the City
- Saturday, April 8, 2017 – 9 am to noon
- The Idol of Effectiveness in Ministry, presented by Skye Jethani, President, Measure the Cloud Ministries
Where: Unless otherwise noted, all MissionSmith sessions take place at Trinity Lutheran Church (Community Center Building)
2031 West 30th Street
Cleveland, OH 44113
MissionSmith sessions are free, half-day gatherings designed to forge the thinking and practice of metropolitan church and ministry leaders for greater effectiveness and innovation in mission, church planting and Kingdom advancement.
MissionSmith brings you and your team through a series of dynamic presentations from local, regional and national ministry leaders. The monthly topics vary, addressing a wide range of mission and leadership topics and practices, often through storytelling, lecture or skills-building sessions. Come and get equipped, inspired and linked with others at MissionSmith. They are all free with an advance RSVP, so select just the sessions that speak to your situation, or mark your calendar now and attend them all!