Building Hope in the City is an independent Lutheran organization that seeks to strengthen urban ministry and mission in Northeast Ohio and beyond.
Formed in August 2003, Building Hope in the City owes its birth to God's blessings and grace at Trinity Lutheran Church, a thriving, 157-year-old LCMS congregation located just outside of downtown Cleveland. Since 1992 and under the spiritual direction of Rev. Jeff Johnson, Trinity has grown steadily in size and strength. The desire to share these blessings with other urban congregations drove the formation of Building Hope in the City as a separate mission organization.
Today, with a dedicated board, staff and hundreds of volunteers, Building Hope in the City's efforts stretch from Cleveland to Akron, Fort Wayne and Cincinnati. The organization provides a broad new voice for urban missions and for the importance of God's People to be present in the city, sharing His Word and their witness to His redeeming love in Christ.
[back to top]
Urban Community Development and Church Planting
We work toward renewing and healing city neighborhoods from the inside out. Working in partnership with local residents, we build networks of people who work collaboratively to lead change, provide neighborhood solutions and programs and who help anchor new, dynamic city congregations and ministries.
Welcoming and Partnering with Refugees and Immigrants
God is gathering people of many differing cultures and nationalities into our cities. Building Hope in the City senses and acts upon His call to welcome these people, assist in their resettlement and make others aware of the many gifts and assets refugees and immigrants bring to our community.
Equipping Congregations to Serve Their Communities Effectively
Building Hope in the City leads a variety of efforts to renew existing urban ministries including consulting services, leadership training for volunteers and pastors and offering proven know-how in outreach methods that help congregations connect with their community.
Training and Deploying God's People to Serve in the City
Our volunteers and partnering ministries are the lifeblood of this organization. Building Hope in the City serves as a rallying point and springboard for hundreds of area residents who want to engage their community concerns, faith and service to the Lord in the new ways.
[back to top]
Community Leaders, Church Workers and Missionaries
- • Training and ongoing support in starting new ministries and congregations
- • Leadership and guidance for urban, faith-based community development efforts
- • Peer-to-peer mentoring and leadership development for community leaders, pastors and evangelists
Urban Residents, Refugees and Immigrants
- • Bible studies, care groups and community development activities and coordination
- • Mentoring relationships for refugees, immigrants, unemployed adults and youth
- • English instruction and citizenship test preparation programs
- • Translation assistance for non-English-speaking people
- • Tutoring, literacy and GED preparation programs
- • Employment skills-building and workforce development programs
- • After-school programs for children and students
- • Recovery ministries
- • Health information/awareness ministries
- • Assistance in times of crisis (food, clothing and cash assistance as it is available)
Congregations, Groups and Volunteers
- • Bolstering leadership capacity within urban congregations, as well as developing outreach and community programs
- • Guidance for suburban congregations seeking to enter city mission and ministry
- • Training for volunteers and professionals in understanding urban and cross-cultural environments
- • Deployment of volunteers in city ministry according to their interests, skills and availability
- • Service events (“done in a day” activities) for groups of all sizes
[back to top]
Locating Our Partners,
Ministries and Programs
In Northeast Ohio
View BHITC Ministry Locations - Cleveland in a larger map
View BHITC Ministry Locations - Akron in a larger map
In Cincinnati (through our sister organization, Building Hope in the City-Cincinnati)
View BHITC Ministry Locations - Cincinnati in a larger map
[back to top]